The National Deaf Children’s Society are running two Deaf-Friendly Aquatics Workshops:
- Monday 26 February 2018, 9.30am-12.30pm at Castle Semple Country Park, Lochwinnoch
- Sunday 29 April 2018, 10.00am-1.00pm at Caledonia House, Edinburgh
The workshops support instructors and coaches to ensure deaf young people are fully included in aquatic activities.
Instructors and coaches will learn how to make small and simple changes to make activities deaf-friendly and develop confidence communicating with deaf children and young people.
Instructors will also learn basic British Sign Language and watersport specific signs.
The training will cover:
- The impact of deafness on young people
- Communication methods
- How to adapt your activities
- Tips for welcoming deaf children
- Guidance on engaging with deaf children in your area
- BSL specific to watersports
For more information please see the attached leaflets: