Purpose of the Selection Policy
The main purpose of the SDS Commonwealth Games Para Bowls Extended Squad Selection Policy is to identify a Squad of high performance bowlers and coaches who can be assembled for training and coaching in preparation for the Commonwealth Games. This extended squad will work towards nomination to Commonwealth Games Scotland and must be capable of delivering medal winning performances at the highest level.
The SDS Commonwealth Games Para Bowls Extended Squad may be reduced at any time throughout the cycle depending on performances and events leading up to Gold Coast 2018.
Commonwealth Games Competition Format
The following events will be contested by Para Bowlers at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games:
- Mixed Pair B2/B3 (1 male and 1 female)
- Open Triple B6/B7/B8 (must include one B6)
Potential squad members must satisfy the following criteria:
- Be eligible for selection under the rules of the International Bowls for the Disabled (IBD)
- Have an International confirmed classification through the IBD in advance of the Games
- Have a physical impairment that satisfies the criteria for IBD Classes B6-B8 or a visual impairment that satisfies classes B2-B3.
- Eligible for Scottish selection under the rules of Commonwealth Games Scotland
- Comply with WADA Anti-Doping Policy at all times
The following criteria will be applied to determine who is eligible and included in the Commonwealth Games Extended Para Bowls Squad:
- Potential Extended Squad members must be members of a club affiliated to SDS, SABB or Bowls Scotland.
- Squad members must demonstrate a commitment to the SDS Bowls Programme
- Performance Analysis gathered at the following squad days;
Saturday 17 September 2016
Saturday 1 October 2016
Saturday 15 October 2016
Saturday 12 November 2016
- Attitude, enthusiasm and commitment to training, preparation and coaching.
- Performance record in National and International Para Bowls events on appropriate playing surfaces over the past four years.
- Current competition form and readiness
- Suitability as a team player and able to contribute to team dynamics
- Position specific criteria
- Fitness for bowls tests
- Strategy awareness
- Skill progression
- Ability to react positively to game pressure
Having discussed and agreed individual and squad commitments, players will be asked to sign an SDS Commonwealth Games Extended Squad Code of Conduct. It should be noted that breach of the Code of Conduct may lead to de-selection from the Squad. The SDS Performance Bowls Group reserves the right to select and deselect from the Squad.
Selection Criteria for Directors
- Proven ability to demonstrate robust technical knowledge of the sport and the ability to build a rapport with the visually impaired bowler and their playing partners. A significant contribution to team dynamics must be proven throughout the training and competition cycle.
Having discussed and agreed individual and squad commitments, directors will be asked to sign a Commonwealth Games Extended Squad Code of Conduct. It should be noted that breach of the Code of Conduct may lead to de-selection from the Squad. The SDS Bowls Performance Group reserves the right to select and de-select from the squad.
Following the Commonwealth Games Extended Squad selection meeting, successful players shall be notified of the decision of the Selection Panel in writing through the SDS office. The selected Squad will then be published on the SDS website at a prearranged date and time.
- No player will be informally notified of their selection following the selection meeting.
- Notwithstanding the above, the Head Coach may contact successful and unsuccessful players prior to the distribution of formal communications.
- All players are expected to adhere to any confidentiality requirements or embargo placed on selection notification by the Head Coach.
- Any player who has not been selected for the Extended Squad may contact the Head Coach to seek further clarification regarding their non-selection. A non selected player may request an immediate clarification meeting with the Head Coach. This meeting will be held within three days of the Squad being announced. Following this meeting a player may appeal in writing, stipulating the grounds on which the appeal is made, to the Chief Executive Officer of SDS. The appeal must arrive at the SDS office within four days of the clarification meeting with the Head Coach. SDS appeals process will then come in to action.
De-selection from Commonwealth Games Extended Squad
A player may be de-selected from the squad if he/she:
- Demonstrates a lack of commitment to training, coaching and tournament preparations
- Demonstrates a decline in playing standard
- Incurs an illness or injury that, in the opinion of the Head Coach, could inhibit their performance in a competition
- Breaches the SDS Para Commonwealth Games Extended Para Bowls Squad Code of Conduct
- Any de-selected player will be informed of their de-election verbally and by letter. Any de-selected player will receive feedback from the Head Coach to clarify the de-selection decision. These discussions will be documented and a copy of the notes sent to the player and one retained on record. At any time a de-selected player has the right to appeal the decision
Right of Appeal
Appeals against selection in relation to this selection policy must be made in accordance with the SDS appeals procedure. For appeals regarding non nomination for Commonwealth Games please see the published CGS selection policy.
The following members of the SDS Bowls Performance Group will act as the selection panel:
- SDS Head Para Bowls Coach: Voting Member and Casting Vote
- One member of the SDS Para Bowls coaching team: Voting Member
- SDS Performance Manager: Voting Member