Scottish Rowing is the Governing Body for rowing in Scotland. It promotes participation in rowing by both men and women, at every age and level of ability from novice to elite.
Summary of the role: To support the Board of Scottish Rowing in its commitment to ensure that the sport of Rowing in Scotland is conducted in a safe and responsible manner by all member clubs and individuals by providing oversight, guidance and identification of good practice in rowing safety.
Job Purpose: To act as the focal point within Scottish Rowing for all rowing safety matters, advising the Board and providing direction and guidance to member clubs on matters involving rowing safety.
Reporting Line: The post holder will be functionally responsible to the Director of Sport Governance.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Liaising with Club Safety Officers to provide advice and guidance.
- Liaising with the British Rowing Honorary Safety Advisor and ensuring that a constructive dialogue and free flow of safety related information is maintained between the two bodies.
- Providing a brief at all routine meetings of the Board of Scottish Rowing on the status of safety issues.
- Administering the annual club safety audit ensuring its content is kept up to date and relevant.
- Assessing the audit returns provided by clubs and identifying any trends or issues and advising clubs accordingly
- Operating an Incident Reporting process that enables clubs or individuals to report any safety events.
- Assessing reported safety events, conducting trend analysis and identifying Learning from Experience and providing periodic reports to Clubs and the Board.
- Providing support as necessary for the investigation of significant safety events.
- Identifying and promoting Good Practice in rowing safety and instigating safety campaigns to maintain awareness of safety requirements.
- Ensuring Risk Assessments and Safety Procedures are produced by the organisers of all events run specifically by Scottish Rowing and advising on their content and adequacy.
- Liaising with North Lanarkshire Council on all matters affecting the safety of rowing events run at Strathclyde Park.
- Escalating to the Board any emergent concerns where a club or organisation is failing to ensure adequate rowing safety.
- Conducting an annual review of the Scottish Rowing Water Safety codes and guidelines.
- Such other duties as agreed with the Board
- Health and Safety or regulatory compliance experience
- Competent in Risk Assessment
- Experience or knowledge of rowing
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to relate well to people on all levels
- Excellent written and spoken English and the ability to communicate clearly in a professional manner
- Self-motivated and robust when challenged
- Computer literate and confident in using word and data processing software
- Commitment to a strong safety culture
- H&S qualification eg IOSH or NEBOSH
- Event management experience
- Rowing coaching qualification
- Experience of using a Root Cause Analysis technique
How to Apply
Scottish Rowing are committed to appointing solely on the basis of candidates’ ability to do the job for which they are being recruited, and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
To apply: a completed application form, equality monitoring form and covering letter should be sent, marked Private and Confidential to Carol Ann Ellis, Scottish Rowing Centre, 366 Hamilton Road, Motherwell ML1 3ED or alternatively by email email@example.com.
An application form and monitoring form can be downloaded from our website at:
For further information about Scottish Rowing please visit our website: www.scottish-rowing.org.uk