The National Tournament for players with a Visual Impairment, organised by the Tennis Foundation, was held on 15th & 16th October at the National Tennis Centre.
Three players who train with Glasgow Disability Tennis competed – Sam Howie, Laura Grant & Andrea Logan.
- Sam competed in the B2 singles winning 2 of his 3 matches and he won the consolation event. In the doubles he won 1 of 2 matches.
- Laura competed in the B1 singles (mixed) winning 1 of her 3 matches.
- Andrea competed in the B3 singles winning 2 of her 4 matches and 2 of 3 matches in the doubles.
This was a great opportunity for the players and a good start to their competition careers. We look forward to following the results in 2017 for the West Visually Impaired Tennis players.
The National Tournament for players with a Learning Disability was held on 28th, 29th & 30th October at Wrexham Tennis Centre.
Six players who train with Glasgow Disability Tennis competed in this event.
- Ronan Cacace – Singles Div 1 – 4th; Doubles Div 1 – 4th
- Alastair Ramsey – Singles Div 5 – silver; Doubles Div 3 – silver; Mixed Doubles Div 1 – silver
- Gregor Boyd – Singles Div 6 – silver; Doubles Div 3 – silver
- Jack Dickson – Singles Div 9 – silver; Doubles Div 5 – gold; Mixed Doubles Div 2 – gold
- Matthew Copley – Singles Div 10 – silver; Doubles Div 5 – gold
- Lucy Porteous – Singles Div 2 – gold; MxD Doubles Div 2 – gold
Once again, the strength of the Tennis programme in Glasgow is showing at National level and GDT are delighted with the progress of the programmes and the players involved. All have shown development over the past year and is testament to the coaching received through Glasgow Disability Tennis.
The AGM for Glasgow Disability Tennis is on Sunday 4th December at 6pm at the David Lloyd Centre in Renfrewshire. All welcome.