2016 – 8 December

SDS & sportscotland joint young persons Sport Panel meeting

Thursday 8 December 2016

Meeting Minutes

In attendance: Jennifer Livingstone, Colette Martin, Caitlyn Ross, Callum Sloan, Gemma Lumsdaine, Hope Gordon, Lewis McConnell, Michelle Livingston, Rhys McCole, Alex Ball, Chey Carrigan, Liam Luporini

Apologies: Danielle Joyce, Mitchell Graham, Alan Gray, Shelby Watson, Stefan Hoggan, Ross Foley, Daniel Phillips, Nicole Currie


This meeting consisted of the SDS young persons sport panel and 3 members from sportscotlands young persons sport panel. The joint meeting was initiated by members of sportscotland panel noting an interest in disability sport. As a starting point both panels were sent the learning note from the Equality in Sport in Scotland paper (2015) and asked to read it and consider the following questions:

  1. Thoughts on the paper?
  2. Own experiences in relation to participation in sport/accessibility?
  3. What are the main barriers?
  4. What do you think the biggest difference would be in some areas?
  5. What could you do as a group to improve some of the issues and remove barriers?

Panel updates

All panel members individually introduced themselves, giving a little bit of background on their involvement in sport before an overview was given on both panels main aims, members and key outcomes achieved so far.

Both panels agreed the joint group aims would be:

  • To raise awareness in sport in general
  • To have more people with disabilities participating in sport
  • Be a voice for young people in sport

Discussion questions feedback

A photo of the flipchart paper feedback is attached to gain full feedback. From the discussion, the groups were asked to decide on two main areas to work on together moving forward:

  • Education and Knowledge
  • School visits

The groups felt going into schools and delivering presentations to teaching staff/pupils would help increase awareness of the opportunities available to participate in sport. This could include promoting the UK DIT course and encouraging teachers/senior pupils to attend. Although SDS already deliver a senior pupils course and a UK DIT to teachers, the panel members would like to go through the course to learn and suggest changes (if any) to make it more appealing to young people. JL to arrange for HL to come to the next meeting in March. JL has sent ML suggested dates and will confirm to all panel members when it is confirmed.

Alex from sportscotland panel is going to ask his school PE teachers at Linlithgow Academy what they do for pupils with a disability. The panels agreed that they would like to design a questionnaire to give to schools. Both panels have to think of example questions to go into the questionnaire and sent to JL and ML by the end of January.

Previous notes outstanding (for SDS panel only)

National Events

Please see the events you have signed up for below. The 2017 events calendar will be circulated early January. Please let JL know if you would like to volunteer at any or help with the organisation of the event


Event Date Time Venue Name of YPSP member helping Staff member to contact if cannot attend
Disability Badminton Championships Saturday 28 January 2017 9.00am – 5.00pm Napier University, Sighthill Campus, Edinburgh Ross Foley

Alan Gray

Mark Gaffney (mark.gaffney@scottishdisabilitysport.com/07966388957


Jen Livingstone

Website articles

The panel members were reminded to submit their website articles when it is their month to do so (table below). Thank you to those who have already submitted articles, they are proving to be big hits on the SDS website and Facebook page


Month Name
December 2016 Mitchel Graham
January 2017 Ross Foley
February 2017 Stefan Hoggan


YPSP members can claim volunteer expenses (JL has send the form to all members) for travel to meetings and for volunteering at events. Members can claim 30p per mile. Please send completed forms to JL as soon after the meeting/event as possible.

Branch Meetings

Panel members agreed to attend branch meetings. Jen and Mark to circulate dates for each branch early 2017

Branch YPSP member to attend the meetings
Angus Gemma Lumsdaine
Ayrshire Sportsability Danielle Joyce
Dumfries & Galloway Shelby Watson
Fife Callum Sloan/Stefan Hoggan
Forth Valley Caitlin Ross/Mitchell Graham
Grampian Stefan Hoggan (potentially to come to meetings with JL?)
Highland Hope Gordon
Lothian Ross Foley/Alan Gray


Roles and responsibilities for the panel

Role Name
Co Leaders Stefan Hoggan

Hope Gordon

Alan Gray

Secretary Alan Gray
Fundraising Caitlin Ross

Ross Foley

Media Callum Sloan

Shelby Watson

Gemma Lumsdaine

Lewis McConnell

Stefan Hoggan (if needed)

Evaluation Mitchell Graham
Education and Training Colette Martin

Gemma Lumsdaine


Panel training

Public speaking workshop – Alan Gray to ask a contact he knows to see if he can deliver this