Minutes of the fifty second annual general meeting of Scottish Disability Sport held on Wednesday 23rd September 2015 at the Stirling Court Hotel, Stirling at 1930 hours.
Attendees and Apologies
A list is attached.
Welcome and Apologies
The Chair Janice Eaglesham welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Adoption of Minutes
The minutes of the previous AGM were adopted as previously circulated.
Presentation of Audited Accounts
The audited accounts were presented by Gerry Milne. The accounts had been circulated in advance of the AGM and a copy was available to view at the registration table. Thanks were given to the Finance Manager for diligence in the preparation of the accounts. They had been agreed with the auditors and there were no comments.
Report by Gavin Macleod, Chief Executive Officer
An update and overview of the strategic plan were given with a review of the previous year including the 2015 Branch Conference, international successes, education and coaching, governance, communication and then a timeline for the next strategic planning and consultation process to produce the 2017-2021 plan.
Thanks were given to:
- The SDS Management Board;
- Branches and volunteers;
- Sport specific officers and coaches;
- Colleagues in Fife and Edinburgh;
- Local authorities, leisure trusts and sport governing bodies;
- sportscotland, in particular the Partnership Manager Jo Bell;
- Sponsors and key partners; and
Election of Directors
In accordance with the Articles of Association introduced last year, Board members would be elected for a term of three years with one third to step down in the next two succeeding years. In 2015 the Chair and Vice Chair positions were not up for re-election.
Eight nominations had been received for Directors – Anna Tizzard, David Rhoney, Gerry Milne, Iain Smith, Sandra Proudfoot, John Reid, Claire Morrison and Oliver Barsby. A poll was taken immediately prior to the meeting and the following directors were elected: Anna Tizzard, David Rhoney, Gerry Milne, Iain Smith, Sandra Proudfoot, Claire Morrison and Oliver Barsby.
Re-appointment of Honorary Auditors
Geoghegans were re-appointed as honorary auditors with particular thanks to Mike Crerar and Denise Meikle.
Proposed: Eileen Ramsay
Seconded: Gordon Quinton
Membership subscriptions would remain the same as the previous year, at £200 for branches and £50 for associate members.
Proposed: Gordon McCormack OBE
Seconded: Neal Herbert
There were no other matters to discuss.
There was no other competent business.
With the official business completed, it was noted that the AGM had been exceptionally well attended and all were thanked for coming.
Guest Speaker: Peter Drysdale, CPISRA Member at Large
The CEO welcomed Peter Drysdale as guest speaker. Peter expressed appreciation for the invitation and gave a presentation (attached) including speaking on the recent CPISRA World Games which had been attended by a Scottish team including Peter’s son.
Minimum Operating Requirements
SDS Minimum Operating Requirements have been introduced across all 13 Branches and having considered the submissions the Board agreed that a further two Branches had fully met the requirements. Laura Smith received the certificate on behalf of Angus Disability Sport and Dianne Campbell received the certificate on behalf of Ayrshire Sportsability. Re-accreditation certificates were presented to Disability Sport Fife (accepted by Richard Brickley MBE), Forth Valley Disability Sport (accepted by Angus Whyte), Highland Disability Sport (accepted by Jennifer Livingstone) and Lothian Disability Sport (accepted by Neal Herbert).
Presentation of Awards
The SDS Awards were presented by Peter Drysdale.
- Russell Hogg Bursary: Kayleigh Haggo and Ruairi Logan
- Archie Cameron Bursary: Shelby Watson
- Special Recognition Award – Lyndon Williams
- Special Olympics Trophy: Scottish athletes who attended the World Games in Los Angeles
- Capability Scotland Salver for Most Promising Newcomer: Alison Patrick
- Glasgow Trophy for Service to Sport: Irene Lochrin
- Elspeth Watson Trophy for person outwith SDS contributing to disability sport in Scotland: Elaine McKenna
- Russell Hogg Trophy for Development Coach of the Year: Tina Gordon
- Fife Trophy for Coach of the Year: Andrew Jackson
- Dedication to Football Award: Special Olympics Scotland
- Findlay Calder Trophy for Athlete of the Year: Samantha Kinghorn
- Brian Dolan Memorial Trophy for Swimmer of the Year: Andrew Mullen
- Angus Trophy for Sportsperson of the Year excluding athletes and swimmers: Neil Fachie MBE
- Gordon Brown Memorial Trophy for Athletes’ Athlete of the Year: Irene Edgar
The CEO thanked Peter Drysdale for his presentation and introduced Jacqueline Lynn, Head of School and Community, sportscotland.
Closing Remarks: Jacqueline Lynn, Head of School and Community, sportscotland
Jacqueline Lynn gave a presentation (attached).
Gavin Macleod, CEO, Scottish Disability Sport
The CEO thanked Michael Cavanagh for his remarks and congratulated him on the success of the Games and the inclusiveness of Glasgow 2014. Thanks were also given to Julie Hogg for presentation of the Russell Hogg Trophy.
Date of Next AGM
Date to be arranged.